Car windshields are subjected to a wide range of environments, and therefore, it stands to reason that there are several types of windshield cracks you can find on them. In most cases, these are just chips and cracks from rocks or debris, but that’s not all. Here is a list of the different types of windshield cracks we have had to deal with in the past;
- Ding or Chip.This happens when a small piece of rock or debris strikes the windshield while you are driving. Repairing windshields with this damage is quite simple and must be done immediately to avoid turning them into larger cracks.
- Cracked Chips. This happens when a chip or a ding gets enlarged (bigger than a quarter), particularly when you don’t get it fixed right away.
- Bull’s Eye. Also caused by rocks or debris, but on a much larger scale, forming a ‘spiderweb’ on the windshield. This requires a windshield replacement to be performed.
- Combination Breaks.When a windshield gets damaged or broken from different angles, experiencing numerous dings, chips, and cracks that connect with each other. If the cracks aren’t deep, windshield repair should be sufficient here.
- Edge Cracks. These are also known as ‘knicks’ in the UK. Any cracks or chips within 2 inches of the edge of your windshield are known as edge cracks. It doesn’t take long for the crack to enlarge to 8 to 12 inches, after which a windshield replacementbecomes necessary.
- Floater Cracks.These cracks are right in the center of your windshield. If the crack is deep, the windshield must be replaced.
- Stress Cracks. The weatheror hitting potholes too hard can lead to windshields getting cracked due to stress. In most instances, this requires a windshield replacement.
If you find yourself experiencing any of the cracks above, we recommend you let us fix it by coming to us or simply by calling us, and we’ll come to you!