Types of Damage on a Windshield
The windscreen in an automobile is a front-line soldier. It can withstand a hailstorm’s bombardment as well as severe exterior impacts. The windshield is more prone to damage than one might believe because it is constantly under attack from the weather.
Following are a few windshield damages that you should get repaired or replaced right away.
Types of Windshield Damages
A little pebble or other particles of debris hitting your windshield usually results in chips. Your main windshield is created with laminated glass, which is made up of numerous glass panes divided by a plastic layer and is intended to resist breaking. This implies that little bits of glass will flake away when debris impacts your windshield. Here are the different types of chip damage:
- A pit chip – when a small fragment of windshield glass is missing. The spot where the glass should be is called the “pit.”
- Bulls eye – has an impact hole and is bigger than a regular chip and round in shape.
- Half-moon chip – Similar to a bulls-eye, but with a less symmetrical impact area.
- Combination chip – a chip with fractures extending from it.
The sooner a chip is fixed, the better, as a chip left unattended can damage windshields further and lead to cracks. Avoid letting a little chip that can be fixed grow into a major crack that requires replacing the windshield entirely.
Cracks can appear on any auto glass; however, the front windshield is where they are found most frequently. In contrast to chips, cracks can appear even when no impact has occurred.
- Cracked edges – these appear two inches or less from the edge of the windshield.
- Stress crack – This kind might happen following a significant or abrupt change in temperature.
- Floating crack – Instead of starting at the edges, this type may begin in the center of the windshield.
- Long crack – any crack longer than 6 inches
- Chipped crack – you can fit in a quarter in the crack
Visit True Blue Auto Glass to get your windshield damage examined and fixed with the best possible solution recommended by our experienced technicians.